Why Google Authorship is Essential for Small Business
1) Google wants you to. Eric Schmidt, one of the founders of Google, was quoted as saying,
“Within search results, information tied to verified online profiles will be ranked higher than content without such verification, which will result in most users naturally clicking on the top (verified) results. The true cost of remaining anonymous, then, might be irrelevance.”
While other officials at Google have said there is no impact, they do consistently recommend it for website owners, and all business owners should strictly follows the recommended seo practices from Google.
2) Search engine results with an authorship photo have been shown to have higher CTR (click through rates), resulting in more visitors to your website. In particular, Cyrus Shepard, in a SEOMoz blog post, claimed a 35% increase in click-through rate by simply optimizing his authorship (Google+ profile) photograph. Since this is a Google authorship is a free service, and generally takes less than 10 minutes to configure and implement, that chance of a significant CTR cannot not be passed up. The key component of the majority of the higher CTRs reported was the Authorship image optimized for conversion – generally a smiling photograph with a bright, attractive background. That positive sense of personalization creates a visual accreditation of your brand and content.
3) You are branding yourself as an industry leader. Your goal as an industry leader should rely on constant optimization of your online and offline presence. Imagine meeting someone at a trade show, and then they later check your web presence by searching on Google. If your photo is displayed on the first page of their search for your brand name or “yourdomain.com”, that possible lead and/or content sharer, will instantly recognize you!
4) It can help improve the quality of your content. If you are sharing your content with your personal name attached, it becomes much more than just a simple blog post. It becomes an extension of your personal industry knowledge in combination with your personal opinion. If you want your name to have a respectable presence, it requires your very best and shareable content possible.
5) The social accreditation of +1’s and shares will drive higher credibility to your brand and personal name as more people adopt Google+. The impact of +1 and Circles within Google+ and search results will be similar to the facebook like and friend count race by brands. There are already Fiverr types and websites that sell +1’s for google plus, but we do not recommend getting involved with any type of artificial inflation of social profiles. It is best to gain them organically, using proper online business techniques for social media and search engine optimization.